Dzień Ojca

Redding gets first MotoGP podium despite crashing in the race - FOXSports.com


Updated Sep 13, 2015 at 11:12a ET

Entering Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix, Scott Redding was coming off of his best career finish in two seasons of premier-class MotoGP competition.

The Brit had scored a solid sixth place finish on his EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda on Aug. 30 at the Silverstone Circuit in front of his home fans.

However, after a dry qualifying session saw him qualify 13th on the grid, a repeat of his home-track magic on Sunday at Misano seemed unlikely.

It seemed even more unlikely on Lap 6 when the 22-year-old went down at Turn 4 as the rain began to pick up following a dry start to the race.

The Gloucester-native was not to be denied, however, and got back on his bike, switched to his wet-setup bike, then back to his dry-setup bike - as did the rest of the field - and was able to rally back to a third-place finish and his first career podium.

"I had nothing to lose so I was pushing," explained Redding as he narrated the opening laps to MotoGP.com. "Then I got on the brakes and locked the front and went straight, dropped it in the gravel and I tried as fast as I could to get the bike back on the track.

"Then I thought, OK, I'll come in for the rain … then I thought, the rain tires aren't working, I'll just come in for the dry one anyway, nothing to lose. Then I saw the positions coming down, lap time was good, catching Baz, and then, yeah, I'm there!"

Redding was able to pass Loris Baz in the closing laps for third place, with Baz taking the Open class victory on his Forward Racing Yamaha in fourth.

Redding joined winner Marc Marquez and second-place Bradley Smith on the podium, making it the first time two British riders (Smith and Redding) had been on the MotoGP podium together since Barry Sheene and Tom Herron stood on the first and third steps respectively at the 1979 Venezuelan Grand Prix.

Click HERE for the full race results from the San Marino Grand Prix

Search This Blog