Dzień Ojca

MotoGP Brno: Restarted race 'toughest of year' for Kent - crash.net


Danny Kent feels not having a new rear tyre for the restarted and shortened Moto3 race cost him the chance of victory.

Asked if he felt the 12-lap shootout – shortened after eight riders fell in two separate incidents on the first lap of the initial start – was the most difficult encounter of the year, Kent agreed, adding, "We made it the hardest race of the year."

Having used up his softer compound allocation ahead of the race the championship leader was forced to continue on a used medium tyre for the restart.

While several riders benefited from a softer, grippier rear tyre, Kent found he was on the limit for all twelve laps and could do no better than seventh position, his worst finish in dry conditions all year.

"We're here to try and extend our championship lead and in the last two races we've lost 21 points to Bastianini," said the 21-year old. "The main problem was in the restart we didn't have a new tyre to put on the rear. Everybody else put in a soft tyre when they reduced the race to twelve laps. Some people had a spare new soft tyre. All weekend we knew a soft tyre is half a second quicker minimum than when we put a new medium one in.

"We started the restart with a used medium on the rear. We were losing too much in acceleration. This track is all about acceleration, especially through the last sector, coming up the hill. I tried to get on the gas when they were and my rear was all over the place. I lost the drive all the way up the hill. I was on the limit the whole race just trying to stick with them.

"There weren't many places where I could pass because I lost too much under acceleration. The only way I could make up time was braking later. Anyway, we got some points, finished seventh and all these points are going towards the championship. It's still 45 points. Obviously it's a bit frustrating after we had the pace in qualifying.

Despite losing eleven points to nearest title rival Enea Bast ianini, who finished as eventual runner-up, Kent was adamant that he could have ended Sunday victorious had it not been for the restart.

"We made it the hardest race of the year. There's no doubt in my mind that we could have won that race with a new soft tyre. It's something we need to learn for future races, to keep a spare tyre in case there's a restart. Overall I'm a little disappointed but I'm happy to get some more points. We go to our home grand prix with a good lead and we'll try to get a good result there."

The Englishman's future was the subject of intense speculation throughout the Czech Grand Prix as Pramac Ducati confirmed it had made Kent a three-year MotoGP offer.

Kent went on to admit hi plans for 2016 were on the back of his mind. "At the beginning of the year I didn't have any of this on my mind," he continued. "It's something which is there. Obviously with no manager at the moment I'm trying to do my job while talking to all the people. I can't say it's not a distraction, it's there.

"In the end I'm not going to rush. It's my career. We'll look at the best options. We'll get back home, look at all the offers on the table and we'll go from there. It's good to have such a big manufacturer like Ducati that want me to ride for them. It makes me happy but I want to concentrate on this year and win the championship because this is going to help my future a lot."

Search This Blog