Dzień Ojca

MotoGP News - Moto2: Zarco: 65 point advantage 'incredible' - Crash.Net - crash.net


Johann Zarco describes his 65-point championship lead midway through the Moto2 season as 'incredible', but insists it's too early to think about the title.

Last year's Moto2 champion Tito Rabat triumphed in his eighth season of grand prix, with Zarco currently on course to lift what would be his first world crown in year seven.

After switching from Caterham Suter to the Ajo Kalex team, Zarco has been off the podium just once in the nine rounds, including his first three Moto2 wins.

"I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm happy because we've reached the summer break with a 65 point advantage, and that's incredible," Zarco said. "Moreover, in the last race I had some luck and [nearest rival] Tito Rabat fell on the last lap. Now it's time to enjoy ourselves without thinking that all our work has been done, because it has not. There's a long way to go and anything can happen."

"The goal is still to win," he added. "A winning mentality is very important if you want to do a good job during the weekend and be ready for the race. Of course, I must be smart in the remaining races and try not to make mistakes or crash. I will keep fighting for wins and I will have to be thinking about the title without taking many risks and control the situation. You can think of the World Championship closer to the end of the season, but not at the beginning of this second half."

The 25-year-old Frenchman has only been off the podium due to a mechanical problem in the Qatar season opener, so where can he improve in the second half of the season?

"I will try to be faster. I do not usually think much about what can be improved, but in this situation the most important part of my job is to stay calm. I try to never be nervous and keep calm. That is something I am working on every day," he said. "I will try to maintain or increase the advantage as much as possible. I should not think that everything is done, as there is a lot of work to do and the other g uys will not let me get away, so I must show caution."

Zarco is tipped to move up to MotoGP next season, a path followed by every reigning Moto2 champion except Rabat, although his destination is currently unclear...

Search This Blog